£9.99 | $14.95
10 July 2014
198mm x 129mm
Human Rights, International Relations, Politics
'This is not a book for anyone who wishes to maintain any cosy illusions about their own liberty - let alone the liberty of anyone in any country to whose domestic policy the United States government takes exception ... We find in these pages, meticulously detailed and annotated, all the instances of assassination, covert and overt destabalisation, election-rigging, sponsorship of terrorism, secret surveillance, brainwashing and provocation that the US has employed to further its burgeoning corporate empire (otherwise known as the 'new world order') ... After reading Rogue State, it is impossible to hang fast to the comforting illusion that the 'American way' is some kind of enlightenment' - Will Self
Rogue State and its author came to sudden international attention when Osama Bin Laden quoted the book publicly in January 2006, propelling the book to the top of the bestseller charts in a matter of hours. It is an essential guide to the crimes and misdemeanours of the world's only superpower.
'Rogue State is a book of charges to be tied to a paving stone and thrown at the men in Washington'
Independent on Sunday
'William Blum, once of the US State Department, gives a chilling reminder that while there may be no justification for 11 September, there may be reasons.'
Mavis Cheek in the Observer
'Bravo! A vivid, well-aimed critique of the evils of US global interventionism, a superb antidote to officialdom's lies and propaganda.'
Michael Parenti, author of History as Mystery and To Kill a Nation: The Attack on Yugoslavia
'Blum demonstrates how US policy, under the banners of freedom and human rights, has led to barbarous criminal acts, how the world's 'force for peace' has acted in the most bellicose form. An eye-opener for students of national security policy.'
Saul Landau, Fellow, Institute for Policy Studies, Washington, DC
'Rogue State forcibly reminds us of Vice President Agnew's immortal line: 'The United States, for all its faults, is still the greatest nation in the country'.'
Gore Vidal, author of The Decline and Fall of the American Empire
'Bill Blum came by his book title easily. He simply tested America by the same standards we use to judge other countries. The result is a bill of wrongs - an especially well-documented encyclopaedia of malfeasance, mendacity and mayhem that has been hypocritically carried out in the name of democracy by those whose only true love was power.'
Sam Smith, Editor, The Progressive Review, Washington, DC
'This is an indispensable guide to the domestic and foreign policies of the US state.'
Will Podmore, Morning Star
Table of Contents
Preface to the 2014 edition
Author's Note: Concerning September 11, 2001
OURS AND THEIRS: WASHINGTON‘S LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH TERRORISTS AND HUMAN-RIGHTS VIOLATORS
1. Why do terrorists keep picking on the United States?
2. America‘s gift to the world - the Afghan terrorist alumni
4. Excerpts from US Army and CIA Training Manuals
6. The unsavories
7. Training new unsavories
8. War criminals: theirs and ours
9. Haven for terrorists
10. Supporting Pol Pot
UNITED STATES USE OF WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION
12. Depleted uranium
13. Cluster bombs
14. Chemical and biological weapons abroad
15. Chemical and biological weapons at home
16. Encouraging the use of CBW by other nations
A ROGUE STATE VERSUS THE WORLD
17. A concise history of US global interventions
18. Perverting elections
19. Trojan horse: the national endowment for democracy
20. The US versus the world at the United Nations
21. Eavesdropping on the planet
22. Kidnapping and looting
23. How the CIA sent Nelson Mandela to prison for 28 years
24. The CIA and drugs: just say ‘Why not?‘
25. Being the world‘s only superpower means never having to say you‘re sorry
26. The US invades, bombs and kills for it...but do Americans really believe in free enterprise?
27. A day in the life of a free country, or how do the United States get away with it?
About the Author:
William Blum is one of the United States’ leading non-mainstream experts on American foreign policy. He left the State Department in 1967, abandoning his aspiration of becoming a Foreign Service Officer because of his opposition to what the US was doing in Vietnam. He then became a founder and editor of the Washington Free Press, the first ‘alternative’ newspaper in the capital. Blum has been a freelance journalist in the US, Europe and South America. He currently sends out a free monthly newsletter, The Anti-Empire Report. To be put on Blum’s mailing list, send him an email. Previous issues of the report can be read on his website.
Other books by William Blum
Killing Hope: US Military and CIA Interventions since World War II
Rogue State: A Guide to the World’s Only Superpower
Freeing the World to Death: Essays on the American Empire
West-Bloc Dissident: A Cold War Memoir
- Join our mailing list and win the ENTIRE "Critique. Influence. Change." series!
- Register for The Coming Insurrection in Publishing - Feb 4th
- Islamism - a eurocentric position?
- Michael Brown and Eric Garner: Peace and Violence in “American Democracy” | Arnold August
- 2014: Zed Books Christmas Gift Guide